Last year many of you might have remembered I shared a sad ending, as Firefox OS have been stopped for Mobiles. It was really one of the bad news and most of the contributors felt they are alone in island. Then I got struck with my personal works and stopped my contributions for 2 months. But contributing to Mozilla & talking with other Mozillians is like sun rise for me, happens daily, since it didnt happen properly somewhat felt bad.
Then I started learning about WebExtensions in late March, and came up with some good post on them
- Learning more about Add-ons (Webextensions Model) to develop, evangelize, create content based on them.
- 10 Code Patch to various Mozilla Projects by end of April.
- Mentor new contributors to develop Add-ons and also to connect new contributors with other contributors of their interest.
My whole Focus area for 2017 is going to be Add-ons, my most important priority and contribution will be around this. In late 2016 I got opportunity to join Featured Add-ons Community Board and it will be starting from Jan 2017
- I will be joining with contributors in Tamilnadu to form Add-ons focus team.
- This team will be responsible to bring Featured Add-ons (atleast 2 per month) developed by Contributors in Tamilnadu (also India)
- Creating local contents and Add-ons API explanation.
- To develop skills in Add-ons & bringing more WebExtensions I would like to develop at least 1 Add-on per week. List of API’s to follow is available here
- I would also like to discuss the WebExtensions API in tamil.
- To Improve myself as Techspeaker I would be starting a series of learning meetup, offline Meetup in Chennai. Also planning to talk in 2 tech conferences.
- I started a little bit of JS code contribution to web-ext in June but my code didnt have good quality, so by March my aim is to send atleast 5 PR.
- Before April I am planning to organize 3 Add-ons community hackathon.
- Main outcome of hackathon is bring 25 quality developers who can be good evangelist for Add-ons.
- By June, I will be surely applying for Add-ons Review board (One of my dream).
Test Pilot project is one of the amazing project which I love so much, may be it has close relation with Add-ons.
- My first Focus for Test Pilot is to drive more traffic, so installations can be increased. Already I am working with Team in MozillaTN who are sharing the amazing features of Test Pilot add-ons and its uses.
- Second is to contribute to Code base of the add-ons. I love min-vid and Pageshot very much hope I will send 2 Patches to these project by March.
Above are my very personal goals.
But I have a very important community with me, Mozilla Tamilnadu. And shaping this community is more important than my personal goals.
- Helping to Revamp Mozilla Tamilnadu Website. (Highest Priority).
- Participating in #MozillaTN17 and engage with other contributors.
- Connecting contributors with Different pathways ( Expand community with MDN projects, Open Designs and so on..).
- Engaging with atleast 5 new contributors each month who I have never talked and sharing my pathways where I get started and helping them to connect with other active contributors.
Anokha is one of the biggest Annual techfest conducted by Amirta University Coimbatore. It has very huge number of student followers. More than 5000 students attend the event. This year Anokha team has reached Mozilla Chennai requesting to help with a Firefox OS session & hackathon. It is 3 day event, planning for the event started 2 months back. Student Coordinators from Anokha are Raghav and Tharun and some of their friends.
- First day we gave a small introduction about Mozilla as a organisation. This session is handled by Achyuth (fellow rep from Mozchennai)
- Followed by this we divided students into two sections. One part of the students very learning basics of git and another were learning about Firefox OS basics. git session was handled by Kumar rishav and achythosh while Firefox OS session was handled by Jai and Achyuth.
- Then we had a small break for lunch. Post lunch Achyuth introduced Mozilla Appmaker tool which we can use to create simple applications.
- After that Kumar and achythosh gave some basics of HTML,CSS and JS.
- I was developing a template which can be reused by students for developing applications.
The actual plan is to do active hackathon. We came to know some of the students have very basic knowledge about web techonolgoies. So we asked them to use the template which is developed by me to develop simple text based applications. In one session along with me, achyuth and Abhiram joined. And in another session Kumar and achythosh helped students.
The hackathon ended around 7.00 PM. Gauthamraj joined us at the end, he was waiting to collect swags for long time.
In this day, Gauthamraj explained various contribution areas with which students can contribute. and Abhiram explained about Webmaker. Then Again gauthamraj explained about Firefox Student Ambassador program to around 400 students.
It was really a great event I have been. Nearly 60 people singed up for Firefox Accounts. 30 apps have been submitted to Firefox Marketplace. 150 students learned about Firefox app development. 400 students came to know about various contribution areas.
In My Previous post I have told about CB event at MIT, where Mozilla Chennai helped with 2 session. on 8th March again Department of Computer Science of MIT, Chennai invited us to help students during hackathon.
The day first started with share some small introduction about Firefox OS and various API. After that we have shared the theme as Your Favorite city which is also theme of Firefox Student Ambassador program. Some of the students came late and very waiting to learn about Firefox OS and some students joined as they had some doubts. So took a short session on how to start an application.
Then around 4.00 PM students stopped coding their apps. Myself along with Naresh and Anna carefully watched each and every app developed and based on following metrices MIT gave 3 prizes. Metrics as follows
- UI & UX.
- Theme of the App.
- Platform it supports.
- Concepts learned.
Most of the students used the template created by me for Amirta University 3 day workshop. But with that template they learned how to edit HTML, CSS and done some amazing stuffs.
Then Shared some of the Goodies to the participants.
Transit Guide is the winning app of the day. It is currently waiting for approval from Firefox Marketplace. Developers used Google Maps API’s and showed the bus route between two places.
All photos can be found on flickr
Each and every year Mozilla reps around Chennai will be attending Carte Blanche event which happens are MIT, Chennai.
About Carte Blanche
It is yearly event which is fully focused on Open source Technologies. Most of the Open source communities around Chennai will be joining at MIT and have lot of fun based events and learning for whole day.
This time Mozilla Chennai community helped the event with teaching Firefox OS app development and Firefox add ons development along with small stall to teach about Webmaker and Firefox student Ambassador.
There were around 250 students attended this event. So we have decided to make it to three labs.Along with me Nareshkumar joined to talk Session on Firefox OS app development in another seminar hall. And Sachin singh was helping to take Add-ons development session.
Lot of students have very good interest in learning these new session. I was taking Firefox OS app development session for whole day. It all started with giving short introduction to Firefox OS, and then we Firefox OS app development basics and then we had special session on creating Firefox Accounts. Almost every student who have attended created Firefox Accounts so that they can upload Firefox OS apps in future.
During this session I have gave slight introduction about Web API’s with which we can develop some interesting application.
The API’s and Storage which I covered as follows
Then gave a short notes about Firefox Student Ambassador Program and App of the Month contest where students can participate to by developing Firefox OS apps and win lot of Goodies.
Lot of students had good interest in Contributing, some of the student talked personally how to do core contribution, and learned some notes about GSOC and OPW. It was really interesting day
It has been one of the awesome day for me in 2015. I have never before went and inaugurated any Firefox Student Ambassador Club. I finally got a chance to participate and start a club at Vellore Institute of Technology Chennai. After lot of discussion and suggestions for date Feb 21st 2015 was best date I have got, because for next few weeks bit busy with so many stuffs.
I reached university around 8.30 AM and got opportunity to explore about various departments and opportunities given by department. Especially Computer Science department has given Space for IBM, Microsoft, Google research. They also would like to talk with Mozilla Team regarding this.
Then around 10.00 AM the event started. I started with the Introduction about Firefox OS. What is Firefox OS, Why one should develop apps for Firefox OS, What is Open source and how can everyone contribute to Firefox OS.
Then gave small introduction about Mozilla Appmaker, with which we can create small application using drag and drop option. Students love to use and but due to internet connectivity many applications which were developed are not able to save.
Then had a small lunch break, after which started the session with developing Firefox OS apps by writing small lines of Code. For this we have first started to download Firefox Developer Edition browser. WebIDE was very interesting tool which helped a lot for development. Used Battery API for the demo, learn more in details about API
Then around 124 students were interested to join the club. Among them 10 were interested to learn more about Bug Fixing, 26 in learning more about Firefox OS app development in depth, 1 in Localisation, 2 in support ,3 Technical Writing and 4 in testing.
From March we have planned for weekly contributions and events to teach more and depth about open source projects.